Welcome back to My Best Business Mistake, where you can hear all about the unexpected twists that have transformed small businesses for the better.
In our second episode, we connect with Maggie Holbik, serial entrepreneur and business coach who fully embraced remote work years before the pandemic (and proudly boasts that she coined the hashtag #WorkAndPlayFromAnywhere). Maggie also shares her thoughts on networking, designing a life that you love, and analysis-paralysis when launching new businesses.
To listen along, head over to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots. And make sure you subscribe so you get the latest episodes as soon as they’re ready. If you’re loving it, leave a review to share how these stories have inspired you.
Now, let’s take a look at what you’ll find in the episode and the show notes so you can jump right to the spots that most interest you.
My Best Business Mistake, Episode #2: Maggie Holbik
Maggie worked as a secretary for the Canadian government years ago when she felt a calling to become her own boss. She quit her job, started her first business, and has never looked back.
Now, she runs a successful life and business coaching company, Crystal Clear Coaching. But being her own boss hasn’t always been easy, especially as she grapples with health issues. Maggie harnesses the power of positivity to help her manage everything she has going on in her personal and professional life.
Maggie also shares:
- Why you need to forget the rules to become the best version of you
- How she missed out on a billion-dollar idea (and what she learned from it)
- Why she’s a self-professed “domain-hoarder”
- How she lives with no regrets
Maggie’s episode is packed with her own words of wisdom that she’s accumulated in her years of business. So, tune in and learn from a small business pro who perhaps has the most positive attitude you will ever encounter.
Check out the episode and show notes below for more detail.
- [0:08] My Best Business Mistake
- [0:23] Connect with Sue on Alignable
- [0:30] Connect with Maggie on Alignable
- Maggie Holbik on My Best Business Mistake
- [1:23] How did Maggie decide to become an entrepreneur?
- [2:42] What is her business?
- [3:08] Maggie’s Life Coaching Business
- [3:14] Life Purpose Institute
- [3:45] Content, Blogging, Social Media
- [3:55] Nutritionist
- [4:34] Website, Marketing Plan
- [4:48] What is the best thing to happen to Maggie during COVID-19?
- [5:23] #WorkAndPlayFromAnywhere
- [5:36] Laptop Lifestyle
- [5:44] Zoom
- [6:21] What will the business world look like after things open up again?
- [7:37] How is Maggie using Alignable in her businesses?
- [7:57] Facebook Pages, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest
- [9:06] How important are relationships to Maggie’s businesses?
- [9:50] Networking
- [9:53] Sprint, AT&T
- [10:57] Clients
- [11:14] Crockpot Marketing
- [11:46] What would Maggie tell business owners in the scarcity mindset?
- [12:29] Payroll, Accounting
- [12:38] Entrepreneurism
- [13:44] Is there a business or product Maggie wishes she started herself?
- [14:00] Domain Names
- [14:22] YouTube
- [14:41] Internet, Email
- [15:14] What is one piece of business advice Maggie would like to give to entrepreneurs?
- [16:09] Business Plan
- [16:25] Mentoring
- [17:22] Billboard
- [18:03] How is Maggie’s health challenge affecting her business?
- [20:07] Grace’s Blend
- [20:19] Agency
- [21:02] Sue’s Tutoring Business, Brick-and-Mortar
- [21:31] Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses
- [22:03] What is Maggie’s favorite quote and why?
- [22:39] The Top Five Regrets of the Dying by Bronnie Ware
- [23:36] What are Maggie’s final thoughts?
- [24:04] Technology (Tech)
- [24:44] Web Design, Digital Marketing
- [25:40] MaggieHolbik.com
- [26:35] What is Maggie’s best business mistake?
- [28:00] Connect with Maggie on Alignable
- [28:05] Make sure to follow My Best Business Mistake on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [28:12] For more business success tips, head over to growyourbusiness.alignable.com
- [28:15] Connect with Sue on Alignable
- Theme Song: Rock Upbeat Positive by SOUNDFORYOU
What is My Best Business Mistake?
My Best Business Mistake is a podcast that shows how unexpected twists often transform small businesses for the better. Each week, you can learn about a real small business owner who took what appeared to be a disastrous failure and turned it into an amazing opportunity, making it the BEST Business Mistake they could have ever made!
Hosted by Sue Brooke and powered by Alignable, the social referral network—where more than 6 million small business owners feel at home.
How do I join Alignable?
Thanks for listening to Maggie Holbik on My Best Business Mistake. If you’re not yet a member of Alignable, now’s the time to join! You can sign up here.
If you want to continue the conversation with business owners like you who are sharing their own lessons, getting support, asking questions, and solving problems, join the Ask SMB Owners Anything Group over at Alignable.
What was your favorite part of Maggie’s story? Have a great business mistake you want to share on the podcast? Leave it in the comments!